The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Day June 24

So another good day preaching at home. We said goodbye again - this time to LTS student Christien Razafimbahiny, who returns to Madagascar this week.  We took another photo as we are aware that there are no typical congregations with us. A quick check just now reveals that we are about the same number in both pictures but about a quarter of those in the first are not in the second and a similar number in the second were not in the first.
The whole morning had a different cast this week as whereas I preached last week on heaven, this week I preached on hell (from Matthew 25). Perhaps it is the most difficult subject to handle of all. I hope I did it accurately and lovingly.
I was also trying out the use of reading glasses while leading, something I am increasingly needing to rely on. I'm not in the habit and so I found it a little distracting. Hopefully the congregation didn't.
In the evening we looked at Numbers 14 and the sin of unbelieving rebellion. I think we are enjoying Numbers and benefiting from it though it is a little difficult in some ways.

No comments: