The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Cassette 03 Saint-Saens

Not sure when I got hold of this Camille Saint-Saens tape from the eighties. It contains the organ symphony (Peter Hurfiord and the Montreal with Charles Dutit) and the Carnival of the Animals (Dutoit again with the London Sinfonietta and Roge and Ortiz) which is such great fun (I think I first had it on a cassette for children). I must have been aware of the third symphony before the film Babe (1995) which uses the Scott Fitgerald, Yvonne Keeley song (If I had words) based on it but may be not. I saw it performed at the Royal Albert Hall recently. The Danse Macabre I have known longest via the Dutch band Ekseption.

No comments: