The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

William the Conqueror

I can't remember why it came into my head now but I was remembering the other day my late father's story of how he started to read Richmal Crompton's William books. It was when he was in school (not sure what age). It was a library period and he couldn't find a book to take home and so the teacher gave him one. My dad looked at the title - William the Conqueror - and thought, oh no a history book but couldn't argue (no clues on the cover clearly). When he got it home and started to read, however, he couldn't put it down. That book was published the year he was born and was the sixth in the series. There must have been 16 of them or so by the time my dad started reading them and he reckoned he read the lot. I remember my nana buying me several paperbark versions when I was a kid. They're good fun.

1 comment:

Alan said...

They're also interesting social histories.

How many families do you know who have a cook ? Even in the home counties ? (Actually there probably are quite a lot the other side of the park from you.)

And the wartime stories are interesting, too.