The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Past diary entry Jan 06 1994


Still at Swanwick I was up early for my own devotions then led the prayer meeting using Psalm 5. I enjoyed Robert Godfrey again, this time on Calvin and the Pentateuch. I made a note to read more Calvin, something I'm still telling myself 17 years on! We also had Erroll Hulse on the Law in the NT and Peter Jeffrey on the Law and Gospel Preaching. We also had a discussion session on discipline and ministers falling into sin. I'd felt very much under conviction at one point but a conversation with Bob Sheehan (now with the Lord) had helped - not that I consciously remember any of it now. By the time I got back to my room I was on a high with a million thoughts (typical of me to be at extremes). We also had a question session with Bob Godfrey that day and it says that I asked him "how to be an average minister" and he had replied in terms of having a high view of the call and remembering that God is present when we preach.

No comments: