The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Jesus born at night

Back in 2008 I did two posts suggesting Christ was born at dead of night (see tag carols). I pointed out how it comes out in many carols and can probably be supported from Scripture. I noticed this year that other hymns say things like

Christians awake! Salute the happy morn
On which the Saviour of the world was born

Hail Thou ever blessed morn!

Yea, Lord, we greet Thee, Born this happy morning;
Jesus, to Thee be glory given; ....

How can they write in that way? I suppose the simple fact is that they are thinking of the new dawn with Messiah's coming


3 comments:

Richard Miles said...

Technically, morning can be any time from 12.00 am onwards!

Jonathan Hunt said...

I would agree with Richard. I had always imagined that the Lord was born about 3am. Which is the morning.

Gary Brady said...

Thanks for the comments. I suppose the optimum moment would be the darkest of the night which they say is the one just before dawn.