The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

TTRMOMG 03 Golly collecting

I can't tell you how much pleaseure this illustration gives me; it's like an artefact from another world. I', sure you could get these bags from various retailers in the sxities but when I was a child I only knew one or two places. These included Curtesses the shop where my father's mother went. What you would do is to stick "gollies" on these paper bags. The gollies were to be found inserted behind the label on Robertson's jams and marmalades. When you had collected ten you were able to send for a golly gift - a badge or pottery figure. In the end we had a whole band of gollies and they are still about somewhere. When my oldest son was young I used to get the gollies to perform. Must locate them again.

No comments: