The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Not looking forward to the World Cup

Until two minutes ago I was quite looking forward to the rugby world cup in New Zealand, which starts September 9. Then I looked here to discover that three of Wales's four opening games are on a Sunday. Only the Namibia game (first thing on a Monday morning) is not. For Ireland it's the same, but England and Scotland have only one Sunday game (I'm pleased for Euan Murray at least). If we win Pool D it's another Sunday game but being runner up means a Saturday fixture followed by a Saturday semi-final (I can dream can't I?). The final, unsurprisingly, is on a Sunday (early morning here).

No comments: