The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Family Services

Yesterday (the Lord's day) was quite unique in many ways. Firstly, I wasn't preaching myself, which usually happens a few times a year. Much more unusual was the fact that I was listening to my father-in-law in the morning and my son in the evening. What happened was that Geoff was preaching in Aberyswtyth am. The EMW has its annual conference in Aber this week and so it was the bumper crowd in Bethel for the first in a short series on Deuteronomy 29:29. Then after lunch I drove my son Rhodri and his wife Sibyl to Shrewsbury where he had agreed to take the evening service. We had tea first at the home of members whose daughter is married to a member of Childs Hill. The Shrewsbury church meets in a decommissioned Anglican church. Numbers were down a little (although someone I was in university with was there) but swollen by visitors (we weren't the only ones, there was a large home schooling family from West London too - we know the Wells family a little. They were holidaying in the home of a couple who grew up in Aber). Rhodri preached on 2 Timothy 1:7.
So an unusual but great day

No comments: