The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

An Update

I decided not to go to the Met Tab Summer School of Theology this year. (I wasn't fully conscious of this but I would guess that one reason was that there were no overseas speakers - I wonder if numbers were down). I've still been very busy though. Where shall I begin?
Last Monday we had our friends Georgina and Graham and their son Calvin here. They moved to live in Christchurch, New Zealand six years ago so had interesting stories to tell. Graham showed us this fascinating website tracking the continuing earthquakes there (see here). We know them, as Georgina was converted here many years ago (rather out of the blue) before moving straight onto Crawley (Maidenbower then Three Bridges). In Christchurch they attend an Anglican church - must be this one I think. They informed me that Australian LTS graduate Rob Harrod is now the pastor in the Grace Baptist Church, news I'd not kept up with.
We also had a visitor with us over the weekend, the son of Murray Brett and his wife Paula. I met Murray in Georgia a few years back. He is pastor of Grace Baptist Church, Commerce in Georgia and is currently here preaching for my father-in-law Geoff Thomas (currently in Australia and New Zealand) in Aberystwyth and "doing" the UK and Western Europe. He is the author of Growing up in grace.
My sons and others had a nice time with Ethan Brett doing a bit more of London. It's been good to have Rhodri and Sibyl around for a while. We celebrated Sibyl's birthday with Krispy Kremes on Wednesday before the midweek meeting as they headed west yesterday.
There have been a few school things too. Yesterday night at Hampstead School Gwïon received a gold medal for Year 7 Science. He's busy on The Wiz at present. The Friday before it was Y Mabol gampau for Owain and Yr Ysgol Gymraeg (Gwïon's sports got rained off). The celebration went off quite well with a well run prize distribution and a guest speaker who was brief and to the point (contrast the graduation when Dylan also got a prize the other week).
Those have been the main things apart from dealing with decorators and along with meetings for children, young people and the elderly plus the usual Sunday and Wednesday meetings at the church. It was also a privilege to be involved in some late interviewing for next year up at LTS

2 comments:

Jonathan Hunt said...

Hi Gary

We had to leave after only one day due to a bereavement, but on Tuesday evening (where you might expect the overseas speaker like Dr Beeke the year before) numbers were definitely down. I think there were more on Wednesday but I would expect for several reasons (the economic climate among them) that overall there was a small falloff.

I believe for the first time ever the whole thing will be made available online this summer. Not sure if they'll get into live streaming like Tabernacle Cardiff are doing at their conference, though!

Gary Brady said...

Let us know, if it becomes available.