The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Bragg on the AV

I watched on Saturday Melvyn Bragg's The King James Bible: The Book That Changed the World on BBC 2. Rather disappointing , it was a solo effort from Bragg with none of the usual talking heads. Its main failure was the way it sat so loose to the subject itself. We had a little bit of linguistic reference then a lot of history that had little directly to do with the AV. Finally Lord Bragg summed up by saying that (I summarise) liberalism needs a bit of religion thrown in to be really good. At least I know not to read the book (Lord Bragg's that is). Available for a few more days here.

No comments: