The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Mitchley Hill Evangelical

It was my privilege to head 20 miles south into stockbroker country yesterday to preach for the first time in Mitchely Hill Evangelical Church in Sanderstead.
An independent evangelical church with a nice sixties building, the fellowship started in the late fifties and has Brethren roots (I spotted an exclusive Brethren "fortification" nearby, there is also a Catholic Church, etc but this is the only evangelical witness for some way). Despite the roots, it has had ministers in the past and is seeking one at present. We were about 40 in the morning 20 in the evening, rather on the elderly side and generally white and middle class in make up, but trying to reach children and young people and all who will come in. That morning there were around 5 or 6 younger ones there and I took opportunity to speak to them before they went off for Sunday School.
I preached on the young girl in 2 Kings 5 in the morning and Romans 10:1-13 in the evening. The morning sermon on "A pointless life" was well appreciated as I think we all to get to feeling at some point we are wasting our time. (I think you can hear them on the mhec website or on our own chbc one). See our website here). I hardly know anyone in the congregation but inevitably there were a number of points of contact with at least some as we talked, I was very well looked after for the afternoon by Mr and Mrs West, the senior members of the church. Lovely day.

1 comment: