The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Past Diary Jan 09 1974

I was up at 7.15 today (about half an hour later each morning so far). Despite a great start with Matthew 16:24-28 the day soon descended. Lots of complaints about my "idleness". I found myself wondering if it would help if I took my Bible with me to school or some Christian literature. I bemoaned my failure to witness. I think I thought that if I could make the diary more spiritual it might help. At this distance "lighten up a bit" is my reaction but I think that then I took myself so seriously such advice would not have gone down well. I think I was aware somehow of Wesley's journals and was trying to mimic that sort of thing.

No comments: