The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Past Diary Jan 02 1974

The next day was a Wednesday. I was out doing paper rounds first thing but there was another prayer meeting in the evening which I went to and prayed in. I was reading Bunyan on prayer at this time as well as daily Bible reading from Matthew's Gospel. During the day I revised for a Greek test due on the Saturday and listened to Focus records. Again all very flowery language, meant to sound spiritual, even the moan about my friend Stephen not being at the prayer meeting.

No comments: