The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Terrine


Twice in recent days I have come across a word that I thought was unfamiliar. The word is terrine. Firstly, near Chester I had a banana and chocolate terrine as pudding. Then at the wedding they were serving a rabbit, pheasant and venison terrine. According to wikipedia the latter is the more traditional type, being "a French forcemeat loaf that is served at room temperature". Similar to a pâté, it uses more coarsely chopped ingredients and is a form of charcuterie or preservation of meat.
What wikipedia also reveals is that I do actually know the word as it is the one also used for an earthenware pot with a tight lid (not to be confused with a turreen - a large dish for soup or stew).

No comments: