The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

June over so soon


June sort of slipped by rather quickly and I missed some things that I wanted to mention.

At the end of May I was preaching in Tollington Park Baptist, currently without a pastor and a little on the small side but with alovely new building and eager to lap up the word. An added bonus was having lunch and tea with a fellow Cwmbraner and her husband. She grew up in the same fellowship as me.

On June 1 I was up in Stapleford helping lay plans for the next Westminster Conference. Papers due (as already flagged up) are on Rewriting the Reformation, Puritan attitudes to Rome, the AV of 1611, Preaching repentance, Edinburgh Missionary Conference of 1910 and Andrew Bonar. That was half term week and most of the family were in Wales so I was more or less on my own, though Dylan was at home - a good excuse to send out for pizza. There were also committee meetings in connection with the Grace Assembly (next one May 24-26 2011, Swanwick, speakers include Stuart Olyott) and LIP (sorry to miss their recent baptism). I also spoke on parenting up at the Welwyn ladies coffee morning. The other things (such as the Evangelical Library Lecture, John Owen Centre TSG, LTS end of term and my trip to Bristol) I've mentioned. There has also been the regular preaching on Mark and Romans plus Titus midweek in Childs Hill as well as work with the elderly and children. The clubs are now over for the summer.

No comments: