The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Whitefield's skull

I've been reading about the forgotten Andrew Reed. He made a trip to America and wrote about it in 1836. In a fascinating and understated passage we read as follows.
We had a conference with the pastors here; and afterwards went to the church, which is enriched with the remains of Whitefield. The elders of the church were present in the porch to receive us. We descended to the vault. There were three coffins before us. Two pastors of the church lay on either side; and the remains of Whitefield in the centre. The cover was slipt aside, and they lay beneath my eye. I had before stood in his pulpits; seen his books, his rings, and chairs; but never before had I looked on part of his very self. The skull, which is perfect, clean, and fair, I received, as is the custom, into my hand. I could say nothing; but thought and feeling were busy. On returning to the church, I proposed an exercise of worship. We collected over the grave of the eloquent, the devoted, and seraphic man, and gave expression to the sentiments that possessed us, by solemn psalmody and fervent prayer. It was not an ordinary service to any of us. More care should be taken to preserve these remains, and less freedom used in the exhibition of them.

2 comments:

Paul Burgess said...

Sounds very Orthodox to me. Relics in the worship of God. Calvin requested he be buried in an unmarked tomb.

Jonathan Hunt said...

Just freaks me out. Ugh.