The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Teddy Pendergrass 1950-2010


I notice that Teddy Pendergrass has died. It was just a name to me (not my kind of music) but reading his obituary one recognised some of the things mentioned and this great break up song. As so often with these black soul singers religion is there in the background. It would be nice to know more. Any man who man can suffer paralysis and then call his autobiography "Truly blessed" has come to understand something worth knowing.

1 comment:

Paul Burgess said...

Lovely song actually. Ive gone right back to the Mississippi blues of the 20s and 30s. I knew some of the music thru Led Zep, Cream etc when I was a kid but could never find it to buy it. Fast forward 30 years...YouTube, online music stores etc :-))The early blues generally have a very serious faith in the lyrics. The later Chicago blues seem to be lamenting lost love etc. Not sure how the shift happened.