The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lloyd-Jones Prefaces

I forget where I was now but I recall recently seeing a book of prefaces by some worthy collected into a book. It set me thinking on Lloyd-Jones and the prefaces or forewords he wrote to various books - not his own books so much as those of others. I am aware of about 15 of them and it struck me that it might be possible to assemble them here for general perusal. Being in this public place people may be able to point me in the direction of others that perhaps I have missed.
The 15 or so I am aware of include those for More than notion; Dallimore on Whitefield; Pastor Hsi; The Genius of Puritanism; Ryle on Holiness; Haldane on Romans and Sprague on Revivals as well as one or two more obscure ones. Let me know.

3 comments:

Martin Downes said...

Ridderbos on Paul? Or was that just a blurb for the dust-jacket?

Gary Brady said...

I thought that too but I think it is just dust jacket blurb. I need to check out the Edwards works on a similar score. I'm up to twenty now, including some fairly obscure ones so this looks like an interesting series.

Anonymous said...

I came across one earlier this week in "Contending for the Faith - E J Poole-Connor" by David G Fountain.