The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Electric Folk


One of my Christmas presents to myself was the 1969 album Liege and Lief by the Folk Rock band Fairport Convention, which I saw going rather cheaply. FP are a band I've long been aware of but had not really listened to. I'm finding it quite enjoyable. Yesterday I read this obituary to Tim Hart of Steeleye Span here. I was a little more aware of the slightly later SS but again not greatly. I suppose it is partly an age thing. The Irish band Horslips who were a little later again I think were my real love.

1 comment:

Paul Burgess said...

I saw FF supporting Led Zepellin at Knebworth. I was so impressed I immediately bought an LP.
Do you remember Liza looking after a baby called Miriam? Her dad Tim [mum Judy] played bass in FF at that time [mid 80s]. We cant remember surname.
Not directly related but continuing the ethnic/world/folk theme...have you come across Ross Daly? An Irish man who is the leading traditional Cretan musician. Blends Greek/Turkish folk music with strong classical Ottoman training with quite disparate music from all round the globe.