The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Book Frustration


I found myself, slightly unexpectedly, on Oxford Street this afternoon - outside Waterstone's. I've kindly been given some book tokens so I tought I'd nip and have a look. I remembered that I fancied getting the book about the Royal Society edited by Bill Bryson "Seeing further". There was a computer there open to Waterstone's online page. Someone had taken the ball out of the mouse but without too much difficulty I was able to call up the desired volume - £12.59! Bargain! Ah, but can I buy it for that price in the shop? No way! Another £7.40 please. Of course, you can't use paper book tokens online so they had me. How much longer will there be bookshops I wonder?

2 comments:

Paul Burgess said...

I'm wondering how long will paper books survive.
I wasn't immediately taken with the e-reader concept BUT am increasingly attracted by having a library that is searchable and which I can highlight annotate and search these too.
And having a huge number of books on the go.
Did I mention all the potential free content?

Gary Brady said...

I'm sure you're right. The last big hardback I bought started falling apart early on - another problem avoided in e-form. One thing I wonder about is the fluidity of e-works - too fluid?