The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

RnR 05 Jungle Rock


Among several incomplete series on this blog is one on Rock ' n' Roll tracks (See RnR). This one I like for a good beat and good words.
American Mizzell had a brief and unspectacular career in the late fifties and early sixties then became a preacher with a restorationist group. Jungle Rock resurfaced in the seventies. My own favourite version is by The Replacements. More here.

Well, I was walking through the jungle just the other night
I heard a big rumble and I thought it was a fight
Stopped for a listen and I had to move my feet
It was a jungle drummer doin' a knocked out beat

Jungle, jungle rock
It was a knocked out beat and I had to move my feet
It was a Jungle, jungle rock

Well, I moved a little closer just to get a better view
I saw a chimp and a monkey a doin' the Susie Q
A 'gator and a hippo was a doin' the bop
And the big black drums was making me hop

A fox grabbed a rabbit and they did the bunny hug
And the old grizzly bear was a-cuttin the rug
The Camel was jitterbugging with a kangaroo
And everything moving with a ring-dang-doo.

No comments: