The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Hebrew Noah


Spent a brilliant day at the John Owen Centre today looking at Genesis 6-9 with eight others (mostly recent ex-LTS) under the expert guidance of David Green. Previous days have been well attended but this was something of a test as we had to pay for the privilege this time. I think everyone would have agreed that it was money well spent. Once again it struck me that there are many things in the Hebrew text almosty impossible to detect by any other means. David works incredibly hard to prepare these days. By riding on his tails as we do a great deal of time is saved as although at a push I could possibly do the work myself I guess it would take me most of the week. The next one (on Abraham) is on March 16. Nice to have fellowship with the other men, all of whom I know to some extent. Ben Midgeley had a wonderful story of a recent conversion which I had only heard a slightly garbled account of.

No comments: