The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Gwent Castles 01

Skenfrith
What set me off on this was that someone mentioned how Wales is full of castles. I then remembered that in school our houses were named after castles in Gwent. What happened was that the Grammar School I passed for had four houses named after Gwent rivers and the Secondary School it merged with had four houses named after Gwent castles. After the merger, it became eight houses all named after Gwent castles but retaining some connection with the original river names (which must have been Ebbw, Monnow, Severn and Usk or was it Wye?). Ebbw and Usk Castles exist but there is no Monnow, Severn or Wye Castle so they were renamed after Skenfrith (Ynysgynwraidd), Monmouth and White (was it?). I was in Skenfrith - inevitably tagged "Scumfilth" by members of other houses. Skenfrith is a bit off the beaten track and there's not much to look at but I did manage to drag my parents off there one day to at least see it. it looks more impressive in the picture than I remember it all those years ago. (More here).

No comments: