The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

GBM Meetings

I am here in Euston at the annual Grace Baptist Mission meetings. They are always held in the Autumn half term. I find them a little frustrating in some ways but very encouraging on the whole. We started with the delegates meeting, which is never easy as the balance between the churches getting their say and the impossibility of discussing everything blow by blow is not easy to judge. Kenya has been a problem as some will know and a question was asked but that was it. Anyway better this than the set up with most missionary efforts where the churches have practically no say.
I had a nice lunch with Adrian Tribe at nearby Chutneys vegetarian Indian restaurant - a long standing tradition. It's been been good to see various folk I know. I went to Fiona Steward's seminar just now on the student work in Bordeaux. She's always a breath of fresh air, though very given to upspeak and estuary English (I'm such an old fogey).
Anyway another seminar to come and then the evening meeting. It's a wonderful opportunity all told.

No comments: