The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Philippines 07


So Ecclesiastes today. I think we did a little better today in some respects. Obviously there was less ground to cover and they were more used to me. Some are still finding it difficult. Really trying to get the Song of Solomon lectures in order tonight.
There was a church prayer meeting earlier tonight, at 6.30 pm, in the lecture room. A lot of it was in Tagalog so I missed quite a bit. It was a very business like PM making use of the white board to list things to pray for. This was done in three sessions - church; CCM/GMA, Other matters. It was good to be there. They asked what to pray for me and I instinctively thought of my dad. So their praying for him here too.
They continue to feed me well. Bernie the caretaker really looks after me (and Jose his brother). I've had mostly take out stuff today with a distinct Filipino twist. I'm not losing any weight I'm sure.
So my positive impressions of this vibrant and by now very busy and active enterprise continue to grow. It is not perfect by any means and I'm sure there are problems but this is Reformed Baptist faith in action in the 21st Century here in the far east and it has a lot to be said for it by the grace of God.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad you're enjoying it over there and being useful. Hadn't realised until someone told me yesterday that you had gone. Praying for you, especially as you will be missing the significant moment when England first play at Sofia Gardens....