The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Philippines 01


So bright and early last Wednesday with almost everything (but not quite) done, I set off for Heathrow. Eleri gave me a lift after we dropped the youngest boys off at school. Things went smoothly getting on the Malaysia Airline Airbus but then we ended up sat there for four hours owing to concerns about the engines. Fuel could be seen spilling from the wings, which understandably concerned some passengers until it was explained that it was coming from the surge tanks and was no cause for alarm. Eventually we headed off. It wasn't a problem for me. It just meant four hours in Heathrow in the plane rather than Kuala Lumpur in the airport. My neighbour was a Malay medical student, studying in Galway - slightly concerned at Malaysia's reputation in all this! I've never talked at length to anyone in a hijab so that was good. Much of the long flight was spent trying to sleep, which I didn't find easy. Anyway from KL I flew straight on to Manila in a fairly empty plane. In both KL and Manila they seemed very concerned about the different influenza viruses. I came through baggage and customs very quickly and soon met up with CCM house mother Fay who drove me effortlessly through Metro Manila to the church compound. Caretaker Bernie showed me to my room, basic but with a fridge and an A/C unit - much appreciated. In the evening Brian Ellis called and he kindly took me out for a meal. We were in a Pancake House overlooking the very place where the thriller in Manila took place (boxing match between Muhammad Ali and Joe Frazier) all those years ago. The church is in the midst of a large commercial area, with lots of building going on. There is also a lot of poverty and some seediness, which Brian pointed out. Thursday nights is drop in night and so when we returned one of the men was speaking to a group of around 80 (less than normal). Matt Gamston is away at present, which is a shame. I did run into a young lady from Chelmsley Wood who is here for a month. So I've got myself settled in and hopefully can share more soon. The thing that strikes me at present is the important of context. I've seen much of this on video but it cannot be the same, of course.

2 comments:

Family Blogs said...

Hi Gary,
Praying for you just now as you settle in the Philippines. Isn't the internet amazing? Here I am in Peru praying for you in the Philippines! Looking forward to reading your thoughts and reflections while you're away.
Wishing you God's richest blessing,
Andrew

Gary Brady said...

Thanks Andrew. It truly bis amazing. Just when I was getting my head round Philippines-UK you add Philippines-Peru!! BTW the Tagalog word for Five is Lima. Is Lima on five hills or soenthing?