The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Visiting Dad 04




My dad was 80 last Friday and so we were in Cwmbran to celebrate with him. Eleri and some of the boys were in Cardiff already with her sister then Dylan and I travelled up the day before to join them. Rhodri came on the day. We had a nice time together in the morning and then in the evening we had a sort of surprise party for my dad with about a hundred people present. Gail had done most of the organising and had invited family, friends and old neighbours including people my dad knows from the club where he dances and the choir he belonged to. It was wonderful that so many came. I was especially glad that my dad's brother Peter was there from Canada (see pic with my dad's cousin Janet from Bristol). It was good to see all four brothers in the same room. Gail had hired a local sort of ceilidh band "Close call". They did the calling for the barn dancing, which is always a good idea as some people like to dance at these things. They finished with a grand okey cokey. The family are Christians with various links to people we know. My dad looks remarkably well considering he had a major op not long ago. The prognosis is not good but we're glad he is well for the present.

1 comment:

Alan said...

Great that he was at home for his birthday, too !