The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Witness to Sceptics

Someone passed this interesting video on. It only gets interesting about 3 minutes in so persevere. There are several responses at the youtube site. This one taking up what Penn Jillette says about atheists proselytising is quite striking (if its genuine):
i am an atheist and i sure do not spread my view because my view although true depresses me and i don't want others to feel the way i feel, depressed. being an atheist sucks. its not cool, trendy, itellectual, maybe if i was rich and famous it would not bother me so much that death is forever, at least i would have a distraction from that fact. hey penn try being a atheist that makes minimum wage, you wont be so up for spreading your view. there is no hell when you die only when your alive.

No comments: