The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Busier and busier

As ever the week has been pretty busy. My father back in South Wales went into hospital last Saturday and so I took the coach to see him last Monday. As it turned out he was leaving the hospital as I arrived so I missed him and had to go on to Croesyceiliog (two buses) to visit. So in the end I only had an hour with him but that was okay. I also got to see my sister Gail, which was good. She gave me a lift back to the bus station.
It's always a little traumatic going back. I love hearing the accents. Newport is a rough old place. I noticed that opposite the bus station the university has a massive 35 million pound building project – but it all seemed quite quiet.
Tuesday I was giving my last lecture for the year at EMF. We made a quick visit to the world of Opus Dei and spent most of the morning on Eastern Orthodoxy. They're a good bunch this year (unusually all men but one). As I only give six lectures by the time I get to know them it is time to go,which is a shame. After lunch in Welwyn, I headed to Hampstead School, where Dylan with others was doing his GCSE Drama group devised play. Dylan's play was the fourth of eight. He took the lead role of Sydney in a sort of morality play about a successful writer who loses touch with what really matters. The boy is clearly gifted (like his older brother).
Wednesday morning we had about 40 kids from the nearby Anglican School at the chapel to look around as part of their religious education. Some of them I know from our clubs. I told them some thing then they asked questions – lots of questions but mostly of the more terrestrial kind. I had to slip down to the Evangelical Library in the afternoon to sign something. In between all this I prepared for the evening meeting where we looked at the first nine verses of Deuteronomy 22. It was a good time. Our old friend Grace Lan, a Chinese missionary with CWI in Glasgow was there. Always nice to see her.
On Thursday, books I'd ordered from Amazon for some lectures on Calvin next week at JOC finally arrived. I need to do some speed reading there, in between preparing for the Lord's Day. I also managed to get a manuscript book read this week – a potential GPT title. In the afternoon I was at LTS to sample the coffee again. We also did some Greek (three of us being led by Robert Strivens) – the subjunctive and a bit more of the Sermon on the Mount. After that I joined Richard (our LTS student) again for a bit more Lloyd-Jones on preaching.
And so Friday is here already. The main thing today is GPT committee meetings in Covent Garden. They went off okay. We were given copies of the latest publications Just by believing by Frank Allred and Christian Basics revised edition by John Hall. So it's off home now for tea and then the clubs tonight.

3 comments:

Family Blogs said...

Hi Gary,
Thanks for this summary of your week. It's really nice to read about normal life in the UK. I've prayed for each of the areas you've been involved in as I've read about them this evening.
Blessings,
Andrew

Gary Brady said...

So encouraged to get your message. Sorry I've been rather slow to take in that you're blogging about your settling in Peru. I must find time to read through it. There's a fellow at EMF (Dsvid) knows your brother. Congrats on the rugby!

Anonymous said...

Hi Gary,

Yes I know David as well - he and my brother worship at the same church: it really is a small world!

Thanks re the rugby: the cheer from Ireland was just about audible here in Peru.

Thanks for calling by our Peru blog as well, I hope to get 'Double Usefulness' up and running again in the near future once the dust settles a little here in South America.

Trust you're well and knowing the Lord's blessing on your ministry. Are you heading to the BoT Conference this month?

You are in my prayers,
Andrew