The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Excursus


After lunch I headed off in the car to Quinta Christian Centre where I had agreed to give a seminar on holiness for the CICCU (Cambridge Inter-collegiate Christian Union). It's about 95 miles and there is no obvious route so I ended up taking quite an interesting pathway. About 120 were at the conference and 20 of them came to the seminar, which was great. I'm not used to students really. By my age they look like children but when they speak they are obviously young adults and I had some really nice chats both in and out of the seminar. Ian Hamilton was doing the main talks. No time to talk to him as he had just been told that the man who had agreed to give a seminar on the Trinity couldn't show up so was substituting.

No comments: