The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Van Leer Home Concert


Someone alerted me the other day to the existence of a new Thijs Van Leer CD which I have treated myself to for Christmas. It is called The home concert and was recorded back in 2005. As the title suggests this is a simple one angle fairly amateur production (in a good sense) by a friend of Thijs's (Daniel Earnshaw). The hybrid CD consists of video footage where Thijs is chiefly asked questions or talks through a piece. There are also a full 11 tracks of audio on piano and flute, mostly from the Focus 9 period. Two strangely titled tracks which I have partly heard before are called Amok in kindergarten and came in response to the Dunblane tragedy.
This is a lovely compilation revealing a true musical genius and a warm human being. Only for the converted I guess, which is a shame. To get a flavour check out Mr Earnshaw's website here.

2 comments:

Hermine Clouser said...

Hi I just found an LP of Thijs van Leer called Introspection 1972. It is Thijs in classical flute mode. Since this is a dutch recording and I am a dutch born (like Thijs 1948 vintage) but living in Central Pennsylvania USA, this was a highly unusual find. I Google Thijs for more info and one of the links was to your blog. Imagine my surprise to read your reference to J. Gresham Machen! and your writings on Christianity. Look forward to reading more as the Christian pilgrimage vis a vis world culture remains a prime pursuit of study.

Gary Brady said...

Hi Hermine
Glad you found me. Also of interest may be this album "http://www.amazon.com/Glorious-Album-Thijs-Leer-Mulder/dp/B0002N9GLY".