The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Blog of the week 6


Yet another blog I have is here. The Psalms and hymns blog now has over 70 entries. These original verses are mostly metrical versions of the psalms but there are other things like verse forms of thw children's catechism. The Psalms are something I've worked on for years. I have nearly 50 up so far and hope to do all 150 eventually. They are not sung reguarly anywhere at present. Being a rather self-indulgent blog I have also put some of my pictures there as decoration. I did most of these years ago and I guess their standard is probably similar to that of the poetry. Here's an example psalm

Psalm 1

St Petersburg

Bless'd is the man who does not walk
Where wicked men would guide his feet,
Or stand in sinners’ ways to talk,
Or sit upon the mockers’ seat.
The Lord's own law is his delight,
His meditation day and night.

He's like a very fruitful tree
That grows where water streams are seen.
As seasons change, its fruit we see
And all its leaves are ever green.
In all to which he puts his mind
Prosperity he’s bound to find!

Not so the wicked! They are all
Like chaff the wind blows far away.
The wicked at the judgement fall,
Lost sinners with the Just can’t stay.
The Lord the righteous' ways he knows;
The wicked’s way he overthrows!

No comments: