The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Hymns Pantycelyn 09


Headed 'The Best Treasure' this is 28 in Hosanna to the Son of David

Gloomy darkness now approaches,
As a horrid deluge, o'er
The creation which shall perish
In oblivion evermore.
The elements shall to their former
Rude and messy chaos turn,
And the starry hosts of Heaven
In the conflagration burn.

Other worlds I must inhabit,
There where time imperial reigns,
And in streams of endless pleasures
Overflow the eternal plains ;
Ocean without bounds or limits,
A beginning or an end,
Millions of revolving ages
Can't it's vastness comprehend.

In those mansions ends my journey,
Where my God sits on the Throne,
And my dearest Mediator
For his brethren does atone.
O what pleasures! O what comforts
Shall detain my ling'ring Flight
From a world of woe and trouble
To the realms of purest light!

All the creatures in connection
Loudly summon, "Come away,
Thou thy precious time hast loiter'd
Careless on the narrow way."
Every tongue now bids me hasten
On the wing whilst I have breath,
Lest the shades of night eternal
Draw the curtain o'er in death.

Have the glorious luminaries,
From their rising to their set,
In the vast extensive heavens
With such object ever met?
Are their treasures in the mountains,
Or the bottom of the sea,
In the thousandth part as precious
As my dear Redeemer be?

No comments: