The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Hymns Pantycelyn 08


This translation from the Welsh is Number 24 in Hosanna to the Son of David and is headed 'Free grace'.


Thous who bestowest pardon free
On guilty sinners such as me,
My humble claim to Heaven above
Is, Jesus, in thy dying love.

If all my goods I would bestow
To feed the helpless, poor and low
And give my body to the flame,
Would that exalt thy holy Name?

Or should I preach thy Gospel-Word,
Convert some millions to my Lord,
And o'er my sins a conqu'rer be
What gain, what profit this to Thee?

What I receiv'd is all thy own,
Thy grace, thy glory and thy crown;
What now I am, what I have been
Is all but filthiness and sin.

My Saviour freely doth bestow
His gift upon the poor and low ;
And all is free, and all is love,
Both from beneath and from above.

No comments: