The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Blog of the week 3




This time we highlight the blog AD 1735. See here. This one hasn't worked quite as well as I had hoped. For years I have thought of concentrating on one particular year in history and gettung to know it well. I chose 1735 because it was the year the Welseys, Whitefield, Harris and Rowland were converted. The snag here is that is only the beginning of the story. Anyway I began in June 2007 and already have 95 posts covering all sorts of subjects. My motto is this
If in 1735
Some girl or some boy was alive,
It's of interest to me
On this blog it shall be
It's for that sort of info I strive.
If you turn to the site the music you will hear is Le CouCou by Louis Claude Daquin from that year. You can also sample Bach's wonderful Italian Concerto from the same year.
A side panel gives the ages in 1735 of more than 60 contemporaries, from George Washington (3) to Jonathan Swift (68).
On Tuesday, Dec 2, 1735 John Wesley wrote
I had much satisfaction in conversing with one that was very ill and very serious. But in a few days she recovered from her sickness and from her seriousness together.
Sunday 7,
Finding nature did not require so frequent supplies as we had been accustomed to, we agreed to leave off suppers; from doing which we have hitherto found no inconvenience ...

No comments: