The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Hymns Pantycelyn 06


This is the third part of a series of hymns and is numbered 19 in Hosanna to the Son of David.

What is the world, and what is life,
And what are honours vain,
When Thou art absent from my soul,
But only grief and pain ?

I ask not those seraphic flames
That ravish thrones above,
Nor what the perfect spirits taste
Of that immortal love.

But bliss that Thou art wont to give,
And promis'd in thy Word ;
Communion with Thyself alone
Is all I want, my LORD.

O! let me see those beams of light,
Feel that celestial spark,
That veils the beauties of the world
In an eternal dark.

One drop of that o'erflowing stream,
That angels taste above,
One smile from my Redeemer's face
Would kindle all to love.

And make the passage of my life,
Tho' rough, but smooth and bright,
Direct my slow unconstant steps
Unto the realms of light.

No comments: