The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Blog of the week 1




As an inveterate blogger I thought that here on my main blog I might draw attention to the 10 others, starting with the Thomas Adams one here.
A Calvinist lived name of Adams
He preached against all of the bad'uns.
With puns and with quips
That fell from his lips
He fed both the sheep and the lambs.
It draws attention to doctrinal puritan Thomas Adams (1583-1652) described by Robert Southey as "the prose Shakespeare of Puritan theologians". I first came across Adams when I was given a three volume set of his works as a birthday present. I then wrote an essay on him for Dr William Barker. I started the website a year ago and it now contains some 110 posts. It has officially had 2,260 visits (an average of 14 a day) and 3,869 page views (an average of 27 a day). No-one stays for very long.
Special feature - some lute music by John Dowland that you can play as you browse.
Quote: Ahab cast a covetous eye at Naboth's vineyard, David a lustful eye at Bathsheba. The eye is the pulse of the soul; as physicians judge of the heart by the pulse, so we by the eye; a rolling eye, a roving heart. The good eye keeps minute time, and strikes when it should; the lustful, crochet-time, and so puts all out of tune.

No comments: