The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Pennine Bible Witness

It was my privilege to preach last Friday night at Thornhill Baptist Church near Dewsbury for The Pennine Bible Witness. I travelled up to Wakefield on Friday afternoon as the sun set and was kindly met by pastor of the church Daniel Grimwade. The Thornhill church has a long history. The Pennine Bible Witness is one of several monthly preaching rallies around the country that started in the sixties and seventies with the rediscovery of Reformed truth. Some have been superseded but others, like this one, continue. Michael Wright, who I know through Grace Assembly, chaired for me and we sang from the Bible Witness selection, which I had seen once or twice before. About 80 gathered. The bias was to the older age group and the male gender and we all appeared to be of the same ethnicity. I preached on the valley of dry bones in Ezekiel 37, hopefully with some effect. Most of the people there I did not know. I met Liz Ward who I virtually know through Geneva Net, which was nice. I was about to buy some Pilgrim Home marmalade when I realised my wallet was elsewhere. A kind-hearted gentleman from Leeds bought it for me. I had a nice chat with a young man from the church. The Grimwades generously put me up for the night before I sped back to London. It was nice to spend time with them and their little girls. Such trips are always very encouraging

No comments: