The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Romania 04

On the Lord's Day we each preached in different churches. John preached at a church further out (St Martin's) in the morning and then shared the preaching at Emanuel in the evening. Phil and I alternated at Golgotha and Zion. I was at Golgotha in the morning. Corneliu translated for me. The pastor there is Daniel Tanc (see pic).
Unimpressive from the outside this was a fine building. We entered as all age Sunday School was progressing. All the older members (men one side, women the other) were in the body of the church and the younger members in the 'choir stalls'. They contributed a song and a brass band piece. There was a little congregational singing and the reading - stood, as I now expected - and followed by a prayer from someone in the congregation.
I preached on Solomon and the Queen of Sheba and hopefully got through. Everyone under 166 must have been in Sunday School, which was a pity. I had a nice chat to a young man called Ghitsa.
In the evening I preached on Solomon's wisdom at Zion. This was a more compact church with a gallery. The place was full but part of the reason for that was that it was one of those Sundays when a village congregation is invited in. This meant an inordinate number of 'items' (brass band instrumentals and choir pieces - at least a dozen) plus 20 minutes from the pastor before I could get to preach. I nearly went mad. It reminded me of Sunday School anniversary in my home church.
Anyway I had a nice time with the pastor there Vlorian Ile and his family, including his lovely little boy Serju (I was really missing my family by then). No pictures as I left my camera behind.

No comments: