The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Last weekend 04





The Lord's Day was spent as ever in preaching here in Childs Hill. In the morning I preached on the famous first half of Ezekiel 37. It cries out for CGI. The above is a fairly tasteful though not particularly impressive rendition.
I spoke to the kids on Christology (person, nature, states, offices - we take no prisoners). We used a hymn I cobbled together from the catechism. (You can see it at my Psalms and hymns blog. Some sermons get to my sermon blog but it's all rather slow at present). My fourth son asked me if a zig-zag would be a better pattern for the states of Christ rather than the 'V' I suggested. That makes sense but the 'V' wins. When Christ comes again he will set up his kingdom here on earth, as it were. It is a coming down but not in the way he came before.
We are redecorating the dining room so only Rhodri's friend Sybil back for lunch and tea. In the evening I was in Psalm 10. The evening congregation is appreciably smaller than the morning one. Some people missing today. In the evening we also look at the 1689 Confession briefly - the Trinity this time. More theology!
I normally collect people from the after church fellowship around 10 pm but unusually I had a headache and so Eleri went. They had a puncture just over a quarter of a mile away. We found getting hold of the spare difficult and replacing the flat tyre impossible. A relief car took people home and we contacted the AA next day who dealt with things very well.

No comments: