The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Alan Coren

I hear that the broadcaster, writer and humorist Alan Coren died just over a week ago. He was 69. See here.
One of his passions in life was putting Cricklewood, where he lived for many years, on the map. Being practically in Cricklewood here that seemed a good idea to me.
Early in my ministry I did quite a bit of door to door work and one day I doorstepped Mr Coren who was in his dressing gown and about to have a bath I guess. Less familiar to me then I still recognised him as someone I had seen on Call My Bluff (TV quiz) and elsewhere - it happens from time to time. We exchanged only a few words and was quite friendly. I don't know if there were any gospel influences in his life. I'm certainly not aware of any profession of faith.
It is a reminder of how quickly time passes, how soon people are in their graves and how few are our opportunities of reaching people. We need to work now, to sow our seed while we can.

No comments: