The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Museum Cinema




Most of the family have been out today at the national eisteddfod in Mold (see here) but I stayed behind with the two middle boys and my father-in-law who was working on his sermons for Sunday. We three spent the morning in the museum (see here). It's very good. I especially liked the little religious section with pictures and memorabilia of Rowland, Elias, Spurgeon, etc. There was also a nice temporary exhibition of early 19th Century beach photographs. (The museum is better than the one in Newport).
In the afternoon we went to see the Simpsons Movie (see here). We were in two minds about this although in the end it turned out to be a not too offensive gag movie. It was quite funny, although I did nod of once or twice. A movie like this has no room for character development and the surreal approach means the plot lacks tension. The scene where the people rush from the bar to the church in a crisis and a vice versa was well observed though I did not quite appreciate the swipe at intelligent design. I think it is a mistake to try and analyse it too much. The boys enjoyed it.
On such a sunny day it was good to be out in the sun some of the time too. Any way they're arriving back from Mold must dash.

4 comments:

Martin Downes said...

You saw that in Aber? I thought the big movie there this summer was Jurassic Park.

Gary Brady said...

As with other provincial places, the Commodore has a bad reputation - undeserved in this case. (Mind you, if I break leg tomorow I'll be straight on the train to Shrewsbury).

Anonymous said...

I love this review...'the plot lacks tension' IT'S THE SIMPSONS MOVIE!
great use of language. Brought a smile to my face, nice one pop.

Gary Brady said...

Rhodri, I hope these As in English & Drama are not going to your head. It was meant to be a an explanation not a revelation. Fair point, however. ;-)