The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Academics

There's a part of me that just loves the world of academia and another part that ....
There's an interview with the professor of systematic theology at Trinity, Deerfield, Illinois, Kevin Vanhoozer here that includes this memorable line in response to the question 'in your writing and teaching projects do you have the laymen or the pastor in mind? or both?' Dr Vanhoozer begins

Well, I try to tailor the message to the appropriate level of cognitive development of my intended audience.

Priceless.

2 comments:

Guy Davies said...

Did you see my recent post that tells what happened when Vanhoozer's Drama of Doctrine fell on David Sky?

Alan said...

uh?