The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Short Poem 14

We mentioned the Anglican clergyman Henry Twells the other day quoting his hymn 'At even ere the sun was set'. He was also responsible for these well known lines.

Lines on a Clock in Chester Cathedral

When as a child, I laughed and wept,
Time crept.
When as a youth, I dreamt and talked,
Time walked.
When I became a full-grown man,
Time ran.
When older still I daily grew,
Time flew.
Soon I shall find on travelling on-
Time gone.
O Christ, wilt Thou have saved me then?
Amen.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the poem from Henry Twells. If you'd like to read about how his hymn, "At Even Ere the Sun Was Set" was written, check out my daily blog on hymns for today, Wordwise Hymns. It's a great hymn, unfortunately not too well known in my circles.