The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Cruise 04




On the Tuesday we reached Citavecchia, an hour and a half from Rome. We took a guided tour of Rome and the Vatican. Rome wasn't built in a day and you can't see it in a day either but we made a stab at it beginning on the coach with some of the most ancient ruins (Colosseum, etc) and then moving onto the Pantheon, Trevi Fountain, etc. We had an excellent ravioli lunch with red wine followed by tira misu before making an assault on the Vatican and St Peter's basilica, site of the pieta and supposed resting place of the apostle himself. Fascinating stuff. one had mixed feelings being at the lair of the Antichrist himself. My sons enjoyed getting pictures with various nuns and priests. What St Peter's has remotely to do with the gospel is hard to see.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think your sons are taking the adage "When in Rome..." too far.

Gary Brady said...

I must underline that this happened when I allowed them to roam (which a dedicated punner like me has to do).