The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

10 Transport Songs

Eagle eyed blogwatchers may have noticed that the two men walking along in the picture for Ten Walking Songs here were the Wright Brothers, no doubt off to their plane. And so we move to 10 songs on the theme of transport.



1. Trains and Boats and Planes by Dionne Warwick
2. Doomsday Train by Brainbox
3. Ships In The Night by Bebop Deluxe
4. Jet by Wings
5. Choctaw Hayride by Alison Krauss and Union Station
6. My New Bicycle by The Roches
7. Fast Car by Tracy Chapman
8. Bus Stop by The Hollies
9. Ticket To Ride by The Beatles
10. Middle of The Road by The Pretenders

4 comments:

Mike. said...

How about:

'Celestial Terrestrial Commuters' by The Mahavishnu Orchestra,

or 'The Man Who Waved At Trains' by Soft Machine.

I don't think you will have come across those.

Gary Brady said...

MO & SM (esp with the Welsh connection) are at least names known to me but not those tracks ... both intriguing titles I must say. Anecdote from late 70s: Boys from my school go backstage after a Jan Akkerman concert. Challenged they say 'We've come to see the world's best guitarist'. Jan: 'Sorry, John McGlaughlin's not here' (Untruths are acceptable in certain circs).

Mike. said...

I saw/heard John McLaughlin live three times in three different formats and Soft Machine.

I'm impressed. You are obviously a mighty Rock Guru. I bow to your knowledge. :-)

Guy Davies said...

Chasing Cars Snow Patrol
Jets Blur