The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Focus Live






Along with about 300 others (90% male and most over 40) I saw the rock legends Focus live last night at The Stables Milton Keynes. I've seen them several times before now (almost never with the same line up) and always very much enjoyed it. Last night was no exception. New guitarist Niels Van Der Steenhoven is up to the mark and was especially good with the more subtle stuff. Part of the trick is that just when the band threatens to turn into any old rock band in will come some Latin or jazz to open up a new front. Thijs Van Leer is not a young man and that amazing voice is nowhere near what it was. However, he still hammers on that Hammond, plays the flute wonderfully and does incredible scat. I particularly liked his flute solo - Bach followed by jazz and then into the scat. They all had solo spots. I particularly enjoyed an amazing drum solo from Pierre Van Der Linden on Hocus Pocus, who had been almost ordinary until then. In fact he stole the show on that track, even though it should have been an opportunity for Van Der Steenhoven to shine on guitar.
The set list was - Part 1: Sylvia's Stepson, House of the King, Tamara's Move/Focus 7, Aya-Yuppie-Huppie-Yee, Eruption, Sylvia. Part 2: Focus 3/Focus 2, Black Beauty, La Cathedrale de Strasbourg, Harem Scarem, Ode to Venus, Hocus Pocus. Encore: Brother (with some vocals) and a brief reprise of Sylvia.
The band were good enough to hang around after to sign autographs and I had a little chat to Thijs and the others. I had the temerity to talk to Pierre about his drum technique. Too many people around to talk long and I wanted to be home before midnight. En route they were talking about the House of Lords and someone said they need evolution not revolution - that's Van Leer's musical philosophy too. I chuckled.

2 comments:

Mike. said...

Hi Gary,

It sounds like you had a good evening.

I've managed to start embedding video on my Blog as well.

Gary Brady said...

Interesting tastes. Did you notice my polar bear piece too? That's probably old hat. As soon as I saw the picture I knew it was a con. I only bothered to check it out when I wanted a visual to go with my quote from Lord May. I AM working on DB despite appearances. CU Monday DV.