The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

On the good ship again

I have a friend, a fellow minister, and we meet once a year in January, when he has a sort of sabbatical month. We first met in LTS and then were neighbours and so used to meet once a week in a downmarket cafe in Kilburn. This time round we had a look at the sites round St Paul's - Wesleyania, Smithfield, martyrs' memorial at Smithfield, etc, to inspire us. More anon, perhaps. We then grabbed a coffee in the Barbican Centre, talking all the while. As we sat there. He tested me on his portable music collection (very white and seventies). He was quite impressed by my knowledge, especially 'Tom, Tom turn around' by New World (amazingly I have their autograph somewhere) and 'Silver machine' by Hawkwind. He's really a football man rather than music (he gave me a nice illustration about Teddy Sherringham - still playing Premier League football because he not only likes the playing but the training too) and has all girls not boys like me. He has a much larger suburban church with elders and assistants, etc. But we're both the Lord's and set apart to the ministry. It's great to spend time with someone who understands that (and has a sense of humour and history). He was particularly helpful to me, as I shared my fears and failures, in reminding me of the importance of discipline. As we walked to Piccadilly Circus to part I thought 'good bloke (I must remember it's his turn to pay for the coffee next year)'.

No comments: