The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Ice hockey

I was up during the night with my youngest coughing. We went downstairs and watched some TV. What's on in the middle of the night? There's The Mint an interactive quiz game for mugs. There was a history programme showing how, over 600 years, an English constitutional monarchy evolved out of Norman absolutism. Charles I was losing his head when I was looking. Then there's Goalissimo - a round up of professional soccer in various countries.
My boy went for Channel 5 and Nick Halling and Russell Chamberlain presenting live ice hockey action from the 2007 All Star Game in Dallas, Texas. 'The best players from the Eastern and Western Conferences battle it out in the NHL's showpiece event.' It was 12-9 to the West (or was it East). Did you know Nashville has a top ice hockey team? All the players are imported, of course. I remember someone in Atlanta telling me that thy encourage people to the games by saying 'come and watch our yankees play your yankees' (yankee here meaning northerner). Better than dancing on ice but I won't be taping the next game.
I was thinking how people must tune into the 'GOD' Channel and see it all going on but not get any nearer to the Lord. I know no more about ice hockey now than I did as a kid when, watching some Olympic game, my father imparted the information that I also passed on to my son last night. The flat thing is called a puck. I don't think that will get you far in NHL.

No comments: